Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Funny? Who's laughing now?

Funny - haha.  
Funny - odd.
Funny – unexpected.

Funny, how time slips away from you. Funny how I can feel creative one moment or for a certain amount of time, and then it stops all of a sudden. Funny, how there are just times where I don’t feel very funny, or times in my life I don’t find funny at all.
Writing a Blog that is most often, and has been funny, is rather hard to maintain to be honest.
I am one who can most always find some humor, or a funny moment, or funny twist on things even in difficult times and sad or troubled situations. But it doesn’t mean I want to write about them. For the most part I have written in this Blog in an attempt to provide humor, a funny insight or story, to be light-hearted and share in words things that will allow others to smile, maybe even laugh. I am generally a positive, upbeat, funny motherfucker! But not so much recently. And not enough to find a desire to retell in this Blog recently. For sure “funny” will return, but for now, not so much.
Life is that way. There are so many times where things in life are Funny–haha. People can laugh at the littlest thing, even in those difficult situations, even where others might deem it inappropriate to laugh, slapstick comedy was born of this, and consider America’s Funniest Videos – those people are often times hurt, but watching them is some funny shit!
A Funny–odd, thing can happen anywhere any time. They are unusual, hence “odd”, in our perspective. Here’s an example, the other day I was driving home on the back roads in rural Amish farm country of Pennsylvania and I saw three goats, a big one, a medium one, and a small one all in a row, standing on the roof of a farm shed – “ha, what the hell, how did they get up there? and what the hell - big, medium, small all in a row, what the fuck? are they real? did someone put them up there,? dude, pay attention and watch the road you dummy!” , all this goes through my head as I drive along. It was Funny-odd.
Lately though I have had more of the Funny–unexpected. Funny how shit happens, Funny how life is, Funny that wasn't supposed to happen, Funny things don’t go the way we planned. Funny – not so much.
Life does happen. Plans and goals, and action on ideas, and precautions, and chances, choices whether educated or not are taken, even guesses at what is best and then a leap of faith. We do these things everyday and even routinely in many cases, yet there always come the inevitable, the unexpected and many times unexplainable. Accidents, cars break down, floods and storms, new territory and experiences, job loss, tragedies, failures, financial losses, set-backs, lightening strikes, stuff out of our control and unexpected. Funny, I didn’t see that coming. Funny, how that turned out. Funny, I didn’t expect that. Funny, I can’t explain it.
The funny thing is, those things aren’t funny and they happen a lot and they can happen to all of us at any time and often one after another, kicked when you're down, getting deeper into a rut, a whole you can't dig out of, quicksand. There are even cliches for it. Funny we've come up with cliches for those times. It can make us sad, angry, confused, even lost and alone. We usually aren’t in it alone or really lost, but we sure can feel sad and angry, and confused. Surely not happy or feeling there is anything “funny” about it. All these emotions need to be respected and there is not a damn thing wrong with being sad or angry. We are able to cry for a reason, and able to feel emotions like anger and fear and grief because they are as valid as happiness, excitement, and laughter.
So let me “feel” and have my emotions of sadness and anger. Respect them as you would any other emotion. Please don’t ask me why I am “acting” this way or that – I’m not ACTING. I’m “FEELING”. It is our human nature. It is a response to some stimulus. Poke me with a needle and it hurts, I’ll be in pain, and most likely feel angry that you stabbed me. Tickle me and I will laugh and feel happy.
Another funny thing is – we can cry when we are sad, or when we are elated and happy. And we can laugh when we are happy, or when we are frightened or nervous.
Hmmm, Funny our mind and body works that way ; Funny-odd.
And funny, how when you saw this post, at first you expected funny-haha, but got funny-unexpected.
Life is funny that way.

1 comment: